Avionics Certification Standards
RTCA and EUROCAE Standards for Software in Avionics
RTCA and EUROCAE have accepted the work of SC-205/WG-12 to update the standards for software in avionics. This includes both ground and airborne software. The new standards are designated DO-178C and DO-278A by the RTCA and ED-12A and ED-109A by EUROCAE respectively. The standards include three supplements:
- DO-331 / ED-216 Model-Based Design and Verification Supplement,
- DO-332 / ED-217 Object-Oriented Technology and Related Techniques Supplement, and
- DO-333 / ED-218 Formal Methods Supplement
Additional documents include
- DO-248C / ED-94C Supporting Information for DO-178C and DO-278A and
- DO-330 / ED-215 Software Tools Qualification Considerations.
DO-332 / ED-217 is particular relevant, since it provides guidelines for using object-oriented languages, including deterministic garbage collection for avionics software. This makes it possible to use JamaicaVM for such system. This supplement was written by SG-5, where Dr. James J. Hunt was both a major contributor and the European Co-chair during plenary approval.